Oct 16, 2012

Math & Science

Math updates: 

On Friday we wrapped up Chapter 2 in Math. This chapter's learning goal was to be able to compare numbers, know number names, and count to tell "how many"... WOW! I was one happy teacher when I  graded those tests. Our class made some awesome learning gains in comparison to the pre-test. I am so proud of everyone!

This week we are starting Chapter 3. This chapter's learning goal is to "represent, count, and read numbers six to nine."

*Just a reminder: Please sign and return your child's test in his/her orange Boomerang Folder. Thank you for your cooperation! 




Science updates:

This week we have been learning about our sense of smell. Today I brought in 5 containers, each storing a mysterious scent inside. Before I revealed the secret scents, I gave the students an opportunity to figure them out on their own. 

It was very funny to see the children cringe and squirm at the scent of vinegar and coffee! Some of the children thought the vinegar was a mixture of eggs and orange juice. Oh, yuck! Those kiddos sure know how to make me laugh :)

The "mysterious" scents were:
Coffee
Basil
Vinegar
Marshmellow candle
Cinnamon

After the scent test we documented our favorite smell and our least favorite smell.




Our favorite scent was a tie between the marshmallow candle and cinnamon. I was personally rooting for basil... but that's just me! :)

For the remainder of the week we will learn about our sense of touch. We will close the week with a fun culminating activity involving popcorn. Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment